Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

On neděle 7. dubna 2024 17:15:16 CEST Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm revisting the topic of rpmautospec because I was doing some work
> on various packages, and it's annoying that some packages are using
> rpmautospec and others are not.
>
> All my packages have been converted, so in day-to-day work, I don't
> even think about %changelog. When working with other packages, I'll
> forget to update the Relase and/or %changelog. Today I was rebasing
> some pull requests in pagure, and the _only_ conflicts that I had were
> about Release and %changelog.
>
> I think it's time to switch to rpmautospec completely.
> Thus, the proposal:
> - new packages MUST use rpmautospec
> - packagers SHOULD convert their packages
> - provenpackagers MAY convert existing packages
>   (e.g. when they want to push some fix or separately from other
>    work)
> - people submitting pull requests against src.fp.o MAY also
>   include a conversion in the pull request and packagers SHOULD
>   merge it.
>
> (FTR, 'rpmautospec convert' does the conversion, incl. the commit
> to dist-git. Manual conversion should not be used.)

I'm -1 here.

I'm also -1 for baking the "actual build source data" into a git-log
history, instead of just plain checkout.  One of the reasons:
https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/rpmautospec/issue/227

Then retro: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/2G6OSOSM76O2V6K4COIE2QHNXIBSXPFR/

1. git-log is not a %changelog, "generated like we do it" it has close
   to zero value.  Can we finally state that %changelog is not needed?
   Or just point at forge's git-log?

2. Release could be made build-system specific, and IMO _should_ be.

Pavel