Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

On Sun, Apr 07, 2024 at 06:44:57PM +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek [07/04/2024 15:56] :
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 07, 2024 at 05:47:57PM +0200, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> > >
> > > This doesn't solve the problem you have so that's a no-go as well.
> >
> > In what way doesn't it solve the problem?
>
> In your original post, you stated "When working with other packages,
> I'll forget to update the Relase and/or %changelog." This will not go
> away if packages are allowed to opt-out.

The issue will be greatly reduced. Every package that is convered
means a little less busy work ;)

> > The opt-out with 'norpmautospec' would solve 1 and 2.
>
> I've noticed a trend in proposed changes in the way Fedora works.
>
> They start off as as things packagers will not have to use if they do
> not want to and, over time, become default/forced (Matrix vs IRC,
> Discourse, ...).

Well, you and Kevin see "salami tactics" (whatever that may be),
while I see normal engineering practice: some new idea is hatched,
it's implemented and used narrowly, them it's applied by default
and more widely, and possibly at the end previous methods are
deprecated.

And yes, the purpose of introducing it narrowly at first is so that
we can change course or even revert completely if it turns out to
be a bad idea. And also, so we can apply corrections. In another
part of the thread, Miro raised some concrete issues, which is useful,
because we know that there's something to fix before moving forward.

The alternative would be to have "grand plans" where we decide that
some technology will be used by default and mandatory before we deploy
it widely and get feedback. Maybe this works in a company where
management sets the course, but not such much in community project.
I think that if you think this through, you'll realize that the
"salami tactic" is quite reasonable.

Zbyszek