Re: convert everything to rpmautospec?

On Sun, Apr 07, 2024 at 12:58:04PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> No. I do not want to use rpmautospec as it currently exists. It does
> not help me. It does not achieve anything for me. It breaks my
> packages for building outside of Fedora Koji. It doesn't even make
> things better for supporting automation.
>
> I do not want to use it unless I absolutely have to (e.g. Rust
> packages since rust2rpm sets it up that way).
>
> -100.
>
> No. I do not want to use this unless it is finally fixed to enable
> rebuild automation. And since that will not happen anytime soon, I
> have no compelling reason to use it and tremendous disadvantages
> otherwise. It makes building things in COPR terrible, it makes
> building things locally annoying, and I can't use it at all reasonably
> in non-VCS oriented build systems.

Neal,

I appreciate the work you with other distributions, but in this case,
you're essentially saying that you'll hold Fedora hostage in order
to force some unrelated changes that have no consensus.

In particular:
- local builds work, I do them all the time, with 'fedpkg local' or
  through an srpm.
- builds in copr work.
- "non-VCS oriented build systems" — building from srpm works, so they
  probably actually work, but anyway, it's 2024, we want more version
  control, not less.
- if you want automated rebuilds, please make a proposal and open a
  new dicussion. Don't beat up on rpmautospec.

And we already have a significant fraction of packages using rpmautospec,
so you must have _some_ solution in place that works for those packages.
Even if rpmautospec doesn't fit those external workflows nicely, maybe
even you would benefit if it is used consistently, because then you
can apply the same (adjusted) workflow everywhere?

Zbyszek