Re: xz backdoor

On Sun, Mar 31 2024 at 07:15:42 AM -04:00:00, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well, an easy solution is to make it so "dnf update" is coerced to
"dnf distro-sync" for development releases. Then it doesn't matter. We
could make that happen for Fedora 41 with the DNF 5 transition
(there's already code to make this possible with PackageKit with the
current DNF backend, it needs to be migrated into DNF 5).

Disabling updates-testing is a bad plan, because we want updates more
aggressively tested during the development cycle.

Agree, people testing beta Fedoras should surely be testing the test updates. But the test updates shouldn't remain installed after updating past the GA release. I don't have a strong opinion on whether 'dnf update' should automatically perform a 'dnf distro-sync', but PackageKit certainly ought to do this. It probably only needs to happen once, though, on or after the final release date.

Michael