Re: xz backdoor

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 6:50 AM Kevin Kofler via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Branched enables updates-testing... so if you installed f40 anytime, you
> > will have it enabled and if you then applied updates it would be in them
>
> Yet another thing I always said was a bad idea, and this incident proves it.
> This would have been filtered before reaching most people if we made people
> only test what actually ends up in the composed Beta and Final images, i.e.,
> updates that made it out to stable.  In addition, having updates-testing
> enabled makes it unsafe to upgrade a Beta installation to Final because
> suddenly updates-testing gets disabled, but people still have packages from
> updates-testing (such as the backdoored xz, but also tons of untested
> packages or ones that explicitly failed testing) installed.

Well, an easy solution is to make it so "dnf update" is coerced to
"dnf distro-sync" for development releases. Then it doesn't matter. We
could make that happen for Fedora 41 with the DNF 5 transition
(there's already code to make this possible with PackageKit with the
current DNF backend, it needs to be migrated into DNF 5).

Disabling updates-testing is a bad plan, because we want updates more
aggressively tested during the development cycle.