Re: xz backdoor

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 11:12:02PM +0100, Sandro wrote:

> From what I understood, F40 Beta, the official Beta release, available from
> the website as of March 26, has updates-testing disabled by default. That

Nope.

> was confirmed by several people in #devel yesterday when the Fedora Magazine
> article was still being worked on.

I am pretty sure I said the opposite...

nirik: Branched enables updates-testing... so if you installed f40 anytime, you will have it enabled and if you then applied updates it would be in them
nirik: yes, we disable updates-testing by default right before release.

I guess that could have been read as right before beta release, but
thats not the case or what I meant. ;)

It's before _Final_ release that we disable updates-testing.
It's enabled by default from when we branch the release off until the
time right before release when we switch it (usually with a freeze
break/blocker bug)

> It's the RC composes that are made after branching and before Beta is
> declared GO, that have updates-testing enabled by default. I was one of the
> persons raising that point. I'm less certain wrt upgrades in the period
> between branching and Beta release.

I think the confusion here is "Beta Release" vs "Final release".

We enable updates-testing at branching time all the way until right
before "Final release". :)

> If that is incorrect and Beta shipped with updates-testing enabled,
> deliberately or by accident, then I stand corrected.

Yes, it did/does. :)

The logic is that most people who install betas or pre-releases want to
help test updates. If for some reason they don't, they can disable it,
but the default option is on.

> > It is obviously still an issue that is evolving and what seems clear now
> > might prove different later. But so far I tend to leave the discussion
> > topic as it is and ensure that F40 users expect being compromised and
> > get informed to act correspondingly with the suggested actions. However,
> > I already added a point how users can check if they have a malicious
> > build.
>
> I agree. Once the levees broke, news was traveling fast and, for some, panic
> may have set in, not helping in determining what information is accurate.
>
> Advise to err on the side of caution, check your system and upgrade if
> unsure, is certainly what I would tell anyone. Even distros (Arch, Gentoo)
> where it turned out the payload wasn't injected, acted out of an abundance
> of caution, put out advisories and updates for their users.
>
> What's written on Discussion looks to be covering the broad spectrum. Maybe
> the Fedora Magazine article could link to that post for further
> clarification.

Yeah, still lots to know about this...

kevin