Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 12:58:27AM +0100, Kevin Kofler via devel wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > The approved KDE change
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KDE_Plasma_6 indicates the intent
> > for existing Plasma X11 installs to switch to Wayland during the upgrade
> > process.
> >
> > There's no perfect answer as some users will be happy to switch to
> > Wayland, while others will not, while perhaps more will not even be aware
> > of anything changing.
> >
> > IMHO if the KDE Sig wants the upgrade path to take users from X11 to
> > Wayland automatically, then the criteria for allowing back in RPMs
> > with X11 builds should include "no interference with the X11->Wayland
> > upgrade path determined by the KDE Sig".
> >
> > The BZ ticket indicates that there was some testing to show that is not
> > causing a problem with the upgrades, so it might be a non-issue, but
> > setting clear expectations in this respect would be a good idea anyway.
>
> As I wrote (and confirmed by testing) in the BZ ticket, the packages as
> submitted already do not interfere with the X11->Wayland upgrade path
> determined by the KDE Sig, and I do not intend changing that. (Adding
> versioned self-Obsoletes could possibly theoretically achieve that, but that
> is a game I do not intend to play. The only thing I care about, which is why
> I bumped that Epoch, is that the upgrade Obsoletes is applied only ONCE on
> the upgrade to Fedora 40 and not on routine updates in Fedora 40 or on
> upgrades from Fedora 40 to later releases, because anybody who still/again
> has the -x11 packages on Fedora 40 has explicitly opted in and should not
> have to opt in repeatedly.)
>
> While (as also stated in the BZ ticket) I disagree that it is helpful to
> forcefully remove the -x11 packages on the upgrade to F40, my packages do
> not and will not interfere with that process.

There seems to be a way for both sides to get what they want here (note:
I am neither, but I hope this might be helpful)

- KDE SIG wants to obsolete X11 packages on upgrade just once
  - Apart from the impact of that, this is actually standard packaging practice
  when subpackages are no longer offered otherwise the upgrade will
  break
- If the obsolete indicates the NEVRA of the -x11 subpackage being
  obsoleted, instead of floating to the current NEVRA, you can actually
  re-provide the missing package without having to bump epoch
- KDE SIG likely also want people to test Wayland, so defaulting to the
  X11 packages being removed makes sense here
- *However* there are quite likely cases where Wayland does not work
  (yet) or could not work (without hardware replacement) for some users'
  use cases. These should not be given short shrift
- So a workaround for such cases needs to be available
- There is also concern that any issue will land on the KDE SIG's laps

This might address all concerns:
- Can we make the x11 packages be named explicitly as compat packages
  (e.g. prefixed with compat-)
- Marking them as deprecated is also reasonable. This is standard
  practice for compat packages
- KDE SIG, as part of the Change Proposal, should also document how to
  install these compat packages so affected users can install them
- After a sufficient grace period where people get their -x11 packages
  removed by default on upgrade, the compat-*-x11 packages should be
  allowed to Provide: the old non-compat name so people who upgrade
  later keep their X11 experience intact
  - This grace period should be part of the release announcement

Does this seem workable? Any feedback appreciated - I try to keep up
with this thread but I might have missed some points.

Best regards,

--
Michel Lind (né Salim)
identities: https://keyoxide.org/5dce2e7e9c3b1cffd335c1d78b229d2f7ccc04f2