Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 08:38:51AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 8:07 AM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 12:47:44PM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > > Link to the FESCo ticket: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/3165
> > >
> > > and I'm very upset

snip

> My proposal for consideration is this:
> "FESCo will allow these packages in the main Fedora repositories,
> however they may not be included by default on any release-blocking
> deliverable (ISO, image, etc.)"

The approved KDE change https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/KDE_Plasma_6
indicates the intent for existing Plasma X11 installs to switch to Wayland
during the upgrade process.

There's no perfect answer as some users will be happy to switch to Wayland,
while others will not, while perhaps more will not even be aware of anything
changing.

IMHO if the KDE Sig wants the upgrade path to take users from X11 to
Wayland automatically, then the criteria for allowing back in RPMs
with X11 builds should include "no interference with the X11->Wayland
upgrade path determined by the KDE Sig".

The BZ ticket indicates that there was some testing to show that is not
causing a problem with the upgrades, so it might be a non-issue, but
setting clear expectations in this respect would be a good idea anyway.

With regards,
Daniel