Re: just to let you know FESCo agreed to a preliminary injunction while we consider this issue

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 8:07 AM Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 12:47:44PM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> > Link to the FESCo ticket: https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/3165
> >
> > and I'm very upset
>
> Assume best intent first of all.  An injunction is a temporary thing
> to allow some space for a decision to be made.
>
> (I added my personal opinion to the ticket itself)

First of all, thank you for assuming best intent.

I'll apologize first for the terseness of those messages; I was in a
rush between meetings and I left out basically all of the context (and
probably used a stronger word -- injunction -- than was strictly
called for). I'm sorry for that.

Next, I'll address Kevin's comment that the "injunction" lacked a
quorum vote to enforce: you are correct. That's the whole reason for
it: the issue came up at the end of an already-long FESCo meeting and
we did not have time to discuss it in the detail it deserves. The
intent was not to make a ruling (which was impossible without quorum),
but to instead indicate that the package review should refrain from
landing until FESCo makes a determination of its suitability and
alignment with Fedora's goals. This is as much for the packagers
involved as anyone; we don't want you to be putting in effort that
FESCo might ultimately require you to revert if the decision goes that
way.

Again, I apologize for not doing a better job communicating that yesterday.

Now, as for my personal stance on the issue upon a night's reflection
(some of this is in reply to comments on
https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/3165 that I feel should be discussed in
a more public forum):

1) I agree that if a Fedora packager wants to maintain a package, then
that package should not be excluded from Fedora except under very
exceptional cases.
2) FESCo is ultimately the arbiter of what software comprises "Fedora
Linux" as made available to the rest of the world. In practice, this
mostly means the install/Live media contents as well as container and
VM images that are released as official Fedora deliverables.
3) Fedora has a long-standing and well-communicated stance that we are
a Wayland distribution first and foremost and that X11 support is
intended as a migration-support tool rather than a first-class
citizen.
4) There was a comment on the FESCo ticket to the effect of '"you must
move to Wayland because no one maintains X11!". Here are some people
who are maintaining X11 packages, so let them do their thing.' This is
misleading, as the move to Wayland is specifically because the
upstream of X11 *itself* is largely unmaintained. These packages are
not maintaining X11, they are adding new dependencies on it.

My proposal for consideration is this:
"FESCo will allow these packages in the main Fedora repositories,
however they may not be included by default on any release-blocking
deliverable (ISO, image, etc.)"