Re: An update on RHEL moving to issues.redhat.com

OOn Thu, 14 Sept 2023, 18:01 Adam Williamson, <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2023-09-14 at 14:50 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Short version is: yes, we did talk them into that with an informal plan, and
> > > then someone higher up at gitlab pulled the plug on the idea.
> >
> > FWIW I interact with pagure rarely enough that it is somewhat painful to context switch each time.  I accept having to deal with both github and gitlab, but going from 2 to 3 has a real cost, particularly around things like CI systems.
>
> Switch GitLab and Pagure in that statement and I could say the exact same thing.
>
> Personally, I find the Pagure UI (and GitHub) to be much cleaner and
> easier to navigate than the UX mess that is GitLab ...
> I even find fully FOSS alternatives like Forgejo (Codeberg) *much*
> easier to use than GitLab.

UI is one thing, but Colin's not wrong about CI.

Love Github or hate it, Github Actions is a pretty strong CI
implementation that is very easy to set up. I haven't personally set up
CI for a Gitlab repo yet, but I believe it's also relatively simple
there.

At the risk of being controversial and a voice of the minority, I think using GitHub would be beneficial for the Fedora project. In practice already most of packagers have to use GitHub to collaborate with upstream so it wouldn't  be a tool to learn. But where, GitHub would be really beneficial IMO is for making our work more visible and reachable to attract new contributors. It is also worth to mention that other distros close to Fedora like Alma Linux or Rocky Linux are using GitHub for their development and it doesn't seems to be a problem.

Doing it for a non-dist-git Pagure project is not *terrible*, but it
involves a lot more finicky steps than doing it on Github, including
waiting for someone to merge a pull request you have to file halfway
through:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zuul-based-ci#How_to_attach_a_Pagure_repository_on_Zuul

and you don't have access to something like the Github Actions library
of setup steps to configure your environment. It would be a significant
enhancement to Pagure if this experience could be made smoother for
non-dist-git projects.

On the whole, I do mostly like Pagure's UI too, but it is missing some
capabilities compared to much more deeply-funded projects (not a
surprise).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA