Re: An update on RHEL moving to issues.redhat.com

On Thu, 2023-09-14 at 14:50 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Short version is: yes, we did talk them into that with an informal plan, and
> > > then someone higher up at gitlab pulled the plug on the idea.
> >
> > FWIW I interact with pagure rarely enough that it is somewhat painful to context switch each time.  I accept having to deal with both github and gitlab, but going from 2 to 3 has a real cost, particularly around things like CI systems.
>
> Switch GitLab and Pagure in that statement and I could say the exact same thing.
>
> Personally, I find the Pagure UI (and GitHub) to be much cleaner and
> easier to navigate than the UX mess that is GitLab ...
> I even find fully FOSS alternatives like Forgejo (Codeberg) *much*
> easier to use than GitLab.

UI is one thing, but Colin's not wrong about CI.

Love Github or hate it, Github Actions is a pretty strong CI
implementation that is very easy to set up. I haven't personally set up
CI for a Gitlab repo yet, but I believe it's also relatively simple
there.

Doing it for a non-dist-git Pagure project is not *terrible*, but it
involves a lot more finicky steps than doing it on Github, including
waiting for someone to merge a pull request you have to file halfway
through:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zuul-based-ci#How_to_attach_a_Pagure_repository_on_Zuul

and you don't have access to something like the Github Actions library
of setup steps to configure your environment. It would be a significant
enhancement to Pagure if this experience could be made smoother for
non-dist-git projects.

On the whole, I do mostly like Pagure's UI too, but it is missing some
capabilities compared to much more deeply-funded projects (not a
surprise).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA