Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Wed, May 10, 2023, at 7:11 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>> Read-only drivers, which are the only drivers under discussion here, aren't a per se problem because they can't modify the file system. So they have no complaints about that.
>
> But those read-only drivers are incomplete and problematic, especially
> as filesystems get more complex.  I've been bitten before by an
> ill-timed unclean shutdown, where an update was still in the /boot ext4
> journal but not comitted, so the system would not boot, because the
> GRUB2 ext4 driver doesn't read the journal.

Right.

But is the program updating /boot doing it correctly? Given the decision to use a journaled file system but a bootloader that doesn't do journal replay, it means the program needs to use a write order and sync policy to ensure there's no expectation of journal replay. Otherwise inevitably it's going to break. So it's a series of mistakes.

> There should be _less_ put into GRUB2 filesystem support IMHO, not more.
> No more complex filesystems; keep /boot something simple like ext2 that
> GRUB2 can reasonably be expected to handle basically 100%, possibly
> mounted read-only during normal operation, mount with "sync", and with
> all updates as atomic as practical.

It still needs the program that modifies /boot to do the updates in the proper sequence. That's not happening right now so it's a risk no matter the file system. But if simpler is better, and ext2 is acceptable, then FAT should also be acceptable. It has the added benefit of all firmware supporting it.

--
Chris Murphy