Re: F39 proposal: BiggerESP (Self-Contained Change proposal)

On Di, 09.05.23 08:22, Neal Gompa (ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I've been asked to consider converting /boot to a Btrfs subvolume so
> that it no longer has a fixed space allocation to deal with the ever
> increasing amount of firmware required for NVIDIA GPUs[1]. This is
> currently incompatible with how systemd views the world, because the
> "discoverable partition spec" is wired to partitions, and there is no
> equivalent spec for subvolumes of a volume. And I imagine that
> XBOOTLDR (whatever that is) also would have a problem with this.

This makese no sense. If you want /boot to just be a subvolume of the
rootfs btrfs, then this would imply it's also covered by the same
security choices, i.e. encryption. We want to bind that sooner or
later to things like TPM2, FIDO2, PKCS11. And that's simply not
feasible from a boot loader environment.

Hence, the place the kernel is loaded from (regardless if you call it
/efi or /boot or /boot/efi, and regardless what fs it is) must be
accessible from the boot loader easily, without requiring
implementation of TPM2/FIDO2/PKCS11 hookup in the boot loader.

Hence: btrfs subvols won't work for this

A simple vfat partition however will.

> Also, as an aside, there is now a "from-scratch" Btrfs EFI driver in
> development[2] (and for your personal horror, an NTFS one too[3]).

Not sufficient. You'd also have to implement a LUKS EFI driver, and a
TPM2 EFI driver, and a FIDO2 EFI driver, and so on and so
on. Basically, you have to reimplement a good chunk of the Linux
kernel, of Linux userspace, systemd and so on in EFI mode.

Good luck with that.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin