Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 11:21:58PM +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> > Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > > We could probibly come up with some
> > > better way to start new topics/discussions
> >
> > Yes I think I can come up with a better way. Give each tag its own
> > email address, like a mailing list. That was very easy to come up with.
>
> I think you mean each category?

I don't know Discourse but we're told that something called a tag is
roughly equivalent to a mailing list. I suppose categories could have
addresses too.

> But you may want multiple tags on a post...

Like Vít said, you can send to multiple addresses. That's how you
cross-post to multiple mailing lists. The Discourse server would then
read all the addresses and apply all of those tags and/or categories
to the post.

When there are multiple recipient addresses in the same domain, a
well-behaved SMTP client is supposed to transmit a single copy of the
message in a single SMTP session with multiple RCPT commands. Thus the
Discourse server will receive only one copy.

It is however possible that some badly written program might mishandle
such a message and send a separate copy to each recipient address. Each
copy would then still contain the whole list of addresses in the To and
CC fields. If the Discourse server would read the header fields and not
just the SMTP envelope, then the copies would appear as duplicate posts,
each with the full set of tags, not as separate posts with one tag each.

If duplicates would turn out to be a great nuisance, then the Discourse
developers might want to add a deduplication feature. The Message-ID
field would be useful for discovering duplicates, but deduplication
should not be done based on the message ID alone. The full contents
should be compared to ensure that the messages really are identical, in
case some defective or malicious email client produces non-unique
message IDs.

As you can see, it doesn't take any great inventions to do this. The
email standards already contain the necessary features. They just need
to be implemented, if the Discourse developers are serious about
supporting interaction by email.

> But that also doesn't solve the spam problem... anyone could send to
> those addresses, and indeed spammers will. ;(

We're told that only sender addresses associated with a Fedora account
are allowed to send to the single global new-topic address. Obviously
that would apply to the tag (and category) addresses too. That's
analogous to reducing spam to mailing lists by accepting posts only
from subscribers.

In what scenario do tag-specific new-topic addresses result in a worse
spam problem than a single global new-topic address?

> But perhaps this could be useful with some other way to autenticate
> posts.

I haven't seen spammers impersonate subscribers in the mailing lists.
The occasional spam that gets into the mailing lists seems to be done
by subscribing a disposable address and sending from that address.

If spammers would start putting in a legitimate user's address as sender
to get the spam into mailing lists or Discourse, then there's DKIM. I
have found DKIM by itself ineffective, as most of the spam is DKIM-
signed now, but DKIM combined with a requirement for a known sender
address should be sufficient authentication to stop spam. The spammer
would at least have to actually send from the same domain as the user
they impersonate.

For registered users whose email provider doesn't sign their messages
with DKIM, a verification message could be sent that they have to reply
to, like when signing up for a mailing list but repeated for every post
that isn't a reply. There's also OpenPGP/MIME. But I rather doubt that
such measures will be needed just to fight spam. Strong authentication
is for preventing more targeted attacks than spam.

Björn Persson