Re: F39 proposal: Increase vm.max_map_count value (System-Wide Change proposal)

The increase step looks very massive. And I wonder why we should make such a change to make games of all things work out of the box. Are games the main use case of Fedora?

Wouldn't it make more sense to create a game spin instead? After all, we already have a Lab. Or make a corresponding change in this context.

> Am 24.04.2023 um 23:07 schrieb JT <jt@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> How this would affect memory performance on a workstation or server with much more running concurrently, is something I can't really speak to, but I would guess there's a point where increasing it could cause issues depending on total memory available and how many processes are getting memory reservations from the kernel.
> At first glance it should be relatively easy to get at least a simple baseline check on a busy workstation/server that isn't massively loaded with RAM.  A system that starts to run into memory pressure during heavy use should reveal if this change causes problems under the same workload.

Before introducing this change, we need to check and make sure that this change will not affect a server operation under any circumstances.

And we need to look specifically at the impact on servers in virtualized environments, where memory is usually greatly reduced for cost reasons.

I am currently strongly against introducing this change for Server Edition. At the moment I don't see any benefit for a server operation through this proposal.

--
Peter Boy
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pboy

Timezone: CET (UTC+1) / CEST (UTC+2)

Fedora Server Edition Working Group member
Fedora docs team contributor
Java developer and enthusiast