Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

Matthew Miller wrote:
> There _are_ email notifications,

You keep talking about "notifications". I don't want a notification
saying "somebody said something; run our Javascript program to find out
what it was". I want the actual message delivered to my mailbox.

But some people in this thread talk as if it's possible to get the
actual messages by email. I even see some hints that a proper tree view
might be possible. But many others say the email features of Discourse
are no good. The overall picture is unclear and far from convincing.

> and you can interact by replying to them.

You let the quarrel go this far before you even bothered to mention
that? You're clearly not serious about selling the email features of
Discourse.

You're trying to convince email users that your preferred communication
program is better than their preferred communication program. Users of
various email programs are saying no, the program I have chosen works
better for my needs. Do you also waste time trying to convince Emacs
users to switch to Vi?

Instead of trying to make everybody use the same Javascript program,
what you should do is show how your preferred program implements the
relevant standards to be interoperable with my preferred program, so
that we can communicate while each using our respective programs. If
it's not interoperable, then that's where the problem is.

So how complete is Discourse's email functionality actually? Can it be
used as a mailing list server, or not?

> Do take a look at
>
> https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/guide-to-interacting-with-this-site-by-email/25960

Okay okay fine! I'll start up a browser in which the Javascript program
even works and go read in the Javascript program about how I might not
have to use the Javascript program.

So it says a "tag" is supposed to be sort of like a mailing list, but
there's only a single global email address for starting new threads.
There's no way to send to a specific tag. Thus it's impossible to post
to a specific mailing-list-equivalent. How am I supposed to ensure that
my messages reach the appropriate audience?

Maybe by replying? It's rather unclear how replies by email are handled,
but I can guess that they're given the same tag as the message they
reply to. If that's the case, then it almost seems like they *want*
people to reply to an irrelevant thread instead of posting a new thread.
I suppose a more likely explanation is that the email notifications are
meant to draw users back to the Javascript program.

Either way, according to that post the answer is no, Discourse is not
usable as a list server. Those who want to replace Mailman with
Discourse should work on improving its email capabilities until it can
be used as a list server.

Björn Persson