Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 11:21:58PM +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > We could probibly come up with some
> > better way to start new topics/discussions
>
> Yes I think I can come up with a better way. Give each tag its own
> email address, like a mailing list. That was very easy to come up with.

I think you mean each category? But you may want multiple tags on a
post...
ie,

https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/fedora-strategy-2028-focus-area-review-editions-spins-and-interests/79291
is posted in the 'Project Discussion' category with #council and
#strategy2028 tags.

> You can write the tag after the plus sign if that makes it easier to
> implement. Instead of "fedoraproject+newtopic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" the
> address could be "fedoraproject+devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" or maybe
> "fedoraproject+devel/newtopic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". Or some other format.
> The local-part can be structured any way the Discourse developers like,
> as long as it's at most 64 bytes and adheres to the dot-atom-text syntax
> in RFC 5322.

But that also doesn't solve the spam problem... anyone could send to
those addresses, and indeed spammers will. ;(

But perhaps this could be useful with some other way to autenticate
posts. Or perhaps there could be some kind of spam detection and require
'spammy' looking posts to be moderated?

I'm not a discourse maintainer tho, so I have no idea how open
they would be to implementing this.

kevin