Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Fri, 2023-04-21 at 15:39 -0500, Carl George wrote:
> As Matthew stated, Ben has measured it and fewer people are
> participating on the mailing list over time.  We are already leaving
> out many contributors.

This is an interpretation, but are we sure we are missing them because
the mailing list is uninviting, and not just because the pool of
interested people is shrinking?

>   Those conversations are largely moving to
> issue trackers, which are also not perfect but are clearly more
> appealing than email for many people.

Issue trackers are a pretty good way to deal with issues, we should
have a better issue tracker that makes those conversations better, not
discourage them to make everything flow in non-descript mailing lists
or forums...

>   Discourse has the potential to
> be a more attractive alternative than both email and issue trackers.

And less attractive to people that work better with mailing lists and
issue trackers...

> To me this seems like a solid strategy for reversing the trend and
> getting more people participating in development discussions.

I really dislike this fixation on numbers. We need higher quality and
we need to discuss what is really needed. Numbers shouldn't be priority
number one, unless there are other underlying issues.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
RHEL Crypto Team