Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

Once upon a time, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I am proposing that over the course of 2023, starting with the Changes
> process, we move Fedora development conversations from this mailing list to
> the Discourse-based Fedora Discussion.

I feel this is a case of trading one group of people (email list users)
for a different group of people (web forum users).  I have seen this
done multiple times over the years, tried to follow a few times, and
always dropped off fairly rapidly.  I'm solidly in the "email list
users" group.

Web forums far from fit how I use communication tools.  For example, I'm
highly keyboard driven and dislike lots of things that force me to use a
mouse.  I use mutt to read email, which works great.  I have email
filters to organize and save things, I can flag messages for later
review/reference, and more.

Web forums also seem in my experience to be much more casual
interaction, where people come and go for long stretches of time, much
more than email lists.  If I just don't click on your bookmark for a day
or two, it's out of mind quickly and I might not come back for weeks or
months (or ever, which is usually the case).  And then even if I do come
back, now I'm pretty much too far behind to ever catch up.

I guess you're hoping for enough overlap between email and web forum
users to keep an active developer community... I wish you luck with
that.

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>