Re: It’s time to transform the Fedora devel list into something new

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 8:58 PM Solomon Peachy via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 07:21:54PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> Hi Matthew, you say: "We're missing people", and I think, "who?".
> And who are you going to miss if you move to discourse?

Again and again I have seen this "we're missing people" sentiment be
used to justify scrapping "old" workflows, and *not once* has it ever
resulted in "more people" coming out of the woodwork that would have
happily contributed in the past, but were turned off/away by the need to
use archaic email.

(FFS, If we're going to follow this to its logical conclusion, we should
 just scrap all of this email/discourse/whatever and just move
 everything to github, or even facebook, as that's clearly where the
 most numbers of people are.  "but no, our custom tooling makes things
 better for us" is the inevitable pushback, which arguably applies just
 as much to email-based flows!)

> The mailing list make messages land in my client, on which I am very
> efficient, therefore I can check all messages once a day, and respond
> if I find a worthy topic.

...and the very nature of Discourse or various other Forums pretty much
make this sort of workflow impossible; that is to say you're all but
forced to manually poll every site you care about in a way that all but
makes automation impossible.

... snip ...

Although I rarely participate, I do read just about everything.
And I have to completely agree with Solomon's response.

Moving to a forum based tool will
a) have the opposite effect expected, and
b) make it harder to follow because of the effort required to
   be notified, scan and read messages.

- email is push, not poll; so it consumes much less time and bandwidth
- email allows 'notification-scan-respond/delete' in basically one (or two) clicks
  in ~3 seconds of elapsed time (for 'n' messages/topics)

Can you say the same for Discourse?