Re: Retiring Bottles in favor of Flatpak provided by upstream

On Thu, 2023-01-26 at 14:55 +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Robert Marcano via devel píše v Čt 26. 01. 2023 v 09:00 -0400:

> > > I maintain both packages in Fedora and flatpaks on Flathub, so I
> > > can
> > > compare. The review to get an app to Flathub was as thorough as
> > > Fedora
> > > package review. In some ways even stricter. It's not like "it
> > > builds,
> > > it runs, you're good to go". They care about some standards, about
> > > builds being verifiable etc.
> >
> > That doesn't seems to be enforced because many builds scripts just
> > download binaries built by other projects, for example;
> >
> > https://github.com/flathub/org.gnome.gitlab.somas.Apostrophe/blob/master/org.gnome.gitlab.somas.Apostrophe.json#L89
> >
> > Note: building the entire pandoc and TeX toolchain is very hard and I
> > understand this example packager decision, but It doesn't make more
> > trustful that version that one on Fedora.
> > >
> Flathub is definitely more flexible at that. I was involved in the deal
> with Mozilla which was not willing to do special builds in Flathub
> infra since from their point of view it was more secure to use builds
> done in their infra and just upload them to Flathub. We still found
> having official builds from Mozilla and Mozilla officially endorsing
> Flathub more beneficial than having Firefox rebuilt by a 3rd party in
> Flathub infra.
>
> But Flathub is still a curated repo. If you want to deviate from
> standards you have to justify it, if you're doing something fishy your
> flatpak may be taken out. But ultimetaly you have to trust the author,
> but that applies to Fedora, too, just to lesser extend.

Firefox is an interesting example, though, because it's *exactly* a
case where I trust the Fedora builds more than I trust upstream's.
Mozilla makes some, to me, sub-optimal choices in search of revenue;
this isn't a dilemma Fedora has. (This is also why I run Fennec, not
Mozilla's Firefox, on Android). This was one of the main nits I had
running Silverblue on my main system for a while, actually - the baked-
in Fedora firefox package couldn't play h264 video, to which a common
'fix' is to just install the Mozilla flatpak instead, but I didn't want
to do that because I'd much rather have a Fedora packaged build.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA