Re: Retiring Bottles in favor of Flatpak provided by upstream

On Thu, Jan 26, 2023 at 12:01 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-01-26 at 14:55 +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > Robert Marcano via devel píše v Čt 26. 01. 2023 v 09:00 -0400:

> > > That doesn't seems to be enforced because many builds scripts just
> > > download binaries built by other projects, for example;
> > >
> > > https://github.com/flathub/org.gnome.gitlab.somas.Apostrophe/blob/master/org.gnome.gitlab.somas.Apostrophe.json#L89
> > >
> > > Note: building the entire pandoc and TeX toolchain is very hard and I
> > > understand this example packager decision, but It doesn't make more
> > > trustful that version that one on Fedora.
> > > >
> > Flathub is definitely more flexible at that. I was involved in the deal
> > with Mozilla which was not willing to do special builds in Flathub
> > infra since from their point of view it was more secure to use builds
> > done in their infra and just upload them to Flathub. We still found
> > having official builds from Mozilla and Mozilla officially endorsing
> > Flathub more beneficial than having Firefox rebuilt by a 3rd party in
> > Flathub infra.
> >
> > But Flathub is still a curated repo. If you want to deviate from
> > standards you have to justify it, if you're doing something fishy your
> > flatpak may be taken out. But ultimetaly you have to trust the author,
> > but that applies to Fedora, too, just to lesser extend.
>
> Firefox is an interesting example, though, because it's *exactly* a
> case where I trust the Fedora builds more than I trust upstream's.
> Mozilla makes some, to me, sub-optimal choices in search of revenue;
> this isn't a dilemma Fedora has. (This is also why I run Fennec, not
> Mozilla's Firefox, on Android). This was one of the main nits I had
> running Silverblue on my main system for a while, actually - the baked-
> in Fedora firefox package couldn't play h264 video, to which a common
> 'fix' is to just install the Mozilla flatpak instead, but I didn't want
> to do that because I'd much rather have a Fedora packaged build.

Mozilla makes other questionable decisions in their builds too, like
having ASLR disabled. It's actually hard to figure out what upstreams
are doing with their own builds, and sometimes they intentionally make
it harder to figure it out.