Re: F38 proposal: Reproducible builds: Clamp build mtimes to $SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH (System-Wide Change proposal)

The idea of faking this and that (timestamps, builder hostname, ...
whatever) is weird.
It always leads to a question: why do we even have / use such
metadata, if we fake them anyway?

Only either ditching such values entirely or always honoring them does
make sense to me.
Or inventing new ones that better fit the various use cases we have
(like before mentioned splitting metadata from artifacts and so on)

But if your proposal is the best we have, I'm fine with it.
It's your time after all :) and I haven't noticed it would affect me
(or rather "make my life harder") in any way both as a user and as a
package maintainer.

--

Michal Schorm
Software Engineer