Re: Inactive packagers to be removed after the F37 release

On Sun, Sep 4, 2022 at 5:30 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> And anybody who isn't willing .....

... or able (they are not free, and there may be other
restrictions regarding crypto capable device export/import
that can require a bit of hoop jumping due to sourcing
site shrinkage, all of which does raise bars a bit higher)

> ... to buy a security key wouldn't be able to contribute to Fedora
> at all.

True, and we (as a community) need to understand and
support all that wish to contribute, even if they do not have
those means.  But it is also true that the intent with
passkey includes being able to use your (sufficiently
modern) mobile device or computer as a source rather
than just a physical key(*) (and while I have not tried it (so
have no idea how complete/capable it is) I recall there
is a golang implementation using your computers TPM2
chip that can be a fido2 authenticator "key" on Linux).

While we clearly are not *there* yet, we are getting
closer every year where almost everyone has a usable
authenticator available to them nearly all the time
(typically carried around in their back pocket, or with
the user's face staring at the screen).

(*) At the recent RSA conference I saw a live demo
from a person with devices running iOS, Android,
macOS and Windows (no Linux) which could
transparently exchange credentials created via
FIDO2/passkey technology (even the presenter
was a bit surprised there was only a minor
"demo effect" glitch since it was partially pre-GA
code, but work it did).