Re: help needed on AskFedora: OpenSSLv3 error when connecting to Eduroam

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 03:23:34PM +0000, Alexander Sosedkin wrote:
> Quoting Kevin Kofler via devel (2022-06-30 14:15:04)
> > You are making two doubtful assumptions:
> >
> > 1. That the users will bother reporting their issues to the server
> > administrators at all. I would expect them to just blame Fedora for it and
> > move to a different operating system that just works, or at most to apply a
> > local workaround (what I called "jump through hoops", e.g., changing the
> > system crypto policy to LEGACY and/or loading the legacy provider with its
> > legacy algorithms into OpenSSL) and then forget about it.
>
> > 2. That the server administrators will actually care about complaints from
> > non-Windows users, assuming they even read user complaints at all to begin
> > with, and that they will be willing to switch to newer (more secure)
> > algorithms that may break compatibility with some ancient operating systems
> > that other users might still use.
>
> I agree with your statements
> but I do not make the assumptions you prescribe to me.
> I'm painfully aware that progress doesn't happen magically
> when we break something in Fedora.
> Hoops are a horrible propellant of progress,
> but still the best one we have.

Practically what would help is an easier way to reduce security for
only specific sites + protocols.  It's very easy right now to set the
whole system to LEGACY, and much harder to set legacy for a specific
site + protocol.  (In fact I have no idea how to go about it for this
particular case we're talking about.)

Rich.

nbdkit - Flexible, fast NBD server with plugins
https://gitlab.com/nbdkit/nbdkit