Re: Suggestion: Use a unified kernel image by default in the future.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 6:33 PM Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 08:54:51PM -0000, Sharpened Blade via devel wrote:
> > Use unified kernel images by default for new releases. This can allow
> > for the local installation to sign the kernel and the initrd, so the
> > boot chain can be verified until after the uefi. Currently, the initrd
> > can be modified by attackers, so even if the / partition is encrypted,
> > the systems data can be read on the next boot. If the kernel image,
> > which includes the command line, and the initrd, is signed  then it is
> > harder to comprimise the system. The system can still be comprimised
> > if the uefi is modified.
> >
> > If this was used, then the kernel could no longer be signed in the
> > package by the fedora infrastructure.
>
> I'd rather have fedora ship a unified + signed kernel image with a
> generic (aka 'dracut --no-hostonly') initrd instead of generating one
> on the local system.

I think the issue with this is the initrd side blows out a lot, you
include all the firmware for all the modules in the system and then
you have 3 of them in /boot.

I do wonder if it's possible to use multiple initrds, and maybe have
the firmware in a separate initrd shared between all installed kernels
if we go down this route.

Dave.