Re: help needed on AskFedora: OpenSSLv3 error when connecting to Eduroam

Alexander Sosedkin wrote:
>> without having to jump through hoops.
>
> No, or nothing ever moves on, squarely because
>
>> Users want to be able to connect to their WPA* WiFi networks,
>> view their HTTPS websites, etc.
>> They do not care whether those use the latest,
>> most secure versions of the standard or not.

You are making two doubtful assumptions:

1. That the users will bother reporting their issues to the server
administrators at all. I would expect them to just blame Fedora for it and
move to a different operating system that just works, or at most to apply a
local workaround (what I called "jump through hoops", e.g., changing the
system crypto policy to LEGACY and/or loading the legacy provider with its
legacy algorithms into OpenSSL) and then forget about it.

2. That the server administrators will actually care about complaints from
non-Windows users, assuming they even read user complaints at all to begin
with, and that they will be willing to switch to newer (more secure)
algorithms that may break compatibility with some ancient operating systems
that other users might still use.

I do not believe that Fedora actually has any levy to get server
administrators to upgrade their setups. We have to work with whatever
obsolete junk is out there.

        Kevin Kofler