Re: Would it be useful to have a video call to discuss the "Deprecate Legacy BIOS" Change proposal?

Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 4/13/22 21:27, David Cantrell wrote:
>
>> OK, given this proposal, I'd like the original change proposal
>> amended to essentially say "transfer legacy BIOS boot support to
>> newly formed Legacy BIOS SIG" or something like that.  The logistics
>> at that point can be sorted out as the SIG sees fit.  I'd like to see
>> the original proposal advance forward and this gives a plan for the
>> legacy BIOS piece.
>
> TBH I'm not sure if that is the direction in which the proposal owner
> (Robbie) wants to go, Robbie ?

More complicated than that.  As alluded to elsewhere in the thread, a
SIG doesn't actually require a change proposal (
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Creating_a_Fedora_SIG ) and I'd feel
weird proposing the creation of a SIG that I'm not going to participate
in.  I don't oppose others stepping forward if they wish.

Regarding the change proposal itself, there seems to be consensus that
legacy bios booting will be going away "eventually", even if for my
purposes "eventually" means "we have this mudslinging again in x
releases".  Absent a formal date or even consensus around what
"deprecation" means, I'm not sure what purpose a revised/new proposal
would serve at this juncture.

> I've send Robbie an offlist email asking him to weigh in here.

My pronouns are they/them.

Be well,
--Robbie