Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Alright, I'll bite. I am within my rights to propose any Change I want
> for Fedora Cloud, which I help steward with David Duncan.

As, presumably, is anyone else?

> As an aside, I examined the state of all release blocking Fedora
> deliverables, and something I noticed is that only the Workstation WG
> has Red Hatters actively engaged in it. That means that this Change
> comes with absolutely no understanding of the state of the world in
> Fedora across the various WGs and SIGs that deliver release-blocking
> artifacts. That in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but the fact
> that none of you are listening to us (David Duncan and myself for
> Cloud and KDE, Chris Murphy for Cloud and Workstation, and Peter Boy
> for Server) when we tell you this is too early is extremely tone-deaf.
>
> None of us want to keep supporting BIOS forever, but we all have
> *real-world experience* saying that we can't do this yet. We're trying
> to find a way to meet halfway to simplify legacy BIOS support, but
> you're not listening to us. We've also been trying to tell you that
> there are *real problems* with Fedora's UEFI support that need fixing
> before we can cut off BIOS support, but you're not listening to us.
>
> This thread has, at the time of my writing this post, has 269 posts
> across 62 individuals. It is the most active thread we've had since
> the switch to nano by default. However, unlike that change, almost
> every single respondent has brought up feedback in this discussion
> saying that we're not ready and providing examples of why we're not
> ready. However, you're *not listening*.

Okay, this is really important: just because I don't agree with you
doesn't mean I'm not hearing what you say.  You appear to be conflating
the two things.

I hear your position that this is too soon.  But I need you to hear what
I'm saying too: community assistance is required to keep up the status
quo, if that's how we want to go.  If you think the best way to go is to
vote this down, and have firmly made up your mind to vote it down, then
vote it down!  But do so with that knowledge.

> I understand you want to drop BIOS support before Fedora Linux 40 is
> branched into RHEL 10.

No one has said anything at all about RHEL.  As a member of the team
responsible for RHEL's boot stack, I can say that most of our focus is
at the moment on <=9, not >9.

Be well,
--Robbie