Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 2:23 PM Robbie Harwood <rharwood@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michel Alexandre Salim <salimma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > - as I stated, there are offers to help with getting syslinux replaced
> >   with GRUB. what I've not stated originally is Chris Murphy brought up
> >   protective MBR and switching all new installs to inst.gpt, which let
> >   us future proof new installations for when we do kill off legacy BIOS.
> >
> > What people who want to help needs, though, is some sense that our
> > contributions are welcome.
>
> (If you're looking for me to comment on proposals to change live media
> generation and installs, I can't really do that - that's Brian's and
> Jiri's areas of expertise.)
>
> > - Neal pointed out he has been working on addressing this for a while,
> >   and have not put up a Change Proposal because he thought it was
> >   premature
>
> While Neal's contributions are as welcome as anyone else's, Neal is not
> a maintainer of (or regular contributor to) bootloader packages and it
> would be very strange for Neal to propose such a change without
> discussing it with us first.  That said, if there was suggestion of such
> a proposal, I have missed it (which is very possible given the size of
> the thread at this point).

Alright, I'll bite. I am within my rights to propose any Change I want
for Fedora Cloud, which I help steward with David Duncan.

For Fedora Cloud, we've been discussing what we want to support going
forward. I added hybrid boot support[1] in Fedora Linux 35
specifically so that we can start working on adding Fedora Cloud to
Azure, who prefers UEFI for its Hyper-V VMs[2], but also supports
legacy BIOS. We decided to not propose a Change to deprecate BIOS
support yet specifically because we needed to have conversations with
the various VPSes that people *actually use Fedora* on before we do
that[3]. I was completely thrown by this Change proposal because it
threatens to poison the conversations that Fedora Cloud wants to have
with its actual stakeholders for a less acrimonious transition.

As an aside, I examined the state of all release blocking Fedora
deliverables, and something I noticed is that only the Workstation WG
has Red Hatters actively engaged in it. That means that this Change
comes with absolutely no understanding of the state of the world in
Fedora across the various WGs and SIGs that deliver release-blocking
artifacts. That in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but the fact
that none of you are listening to us (David Duncan and myself for
Cloud and KDE, Chris Murphy for Cloud and Workstation, and Peter Boy
for Server) when we tell you this is too early is extremely tone-deaf.

None of us want to keep supporting BIOS forever, but we all have
*real-world experience* saying that we can't do this yet. We're trying
to find a way to meet halfway to simplify legacy BIOS support, but
you're not listening to us. We've also been trying to tell you that
there are *real problems* with Fedora's UEFI support that need fixing
before we can cut off BIOS support, but you're not listening to us.

This thread has, at the time of my writing this post, has 269 posts
across 62 individuals. It is the most active thread we've had since
the switch to nano by default. However, unlike that change, almost
every single respondent has brought up feedback in this discussion
saying that we're not ready and providing examples of why we're not
ready. However, you're *not listening*.

I understand you want to drop BIOS support before Fedora Linux 40 is
branched into RHEL 10. Obviously you could drop it in RHEL 10 even if
Fedora doesn't, but it'd be better to drop it in Fedora first and make
sure everything is flushed out. I would be fine with us doing that if
there was some expectation that the UEFI experience in Fedora Linux
was going to improve to resolve the issues people have *now* by the
time we get there.

And we can take incremental steps to get there, even now:

1. Switch Anaconda to default to GPT even on BIOS setups
2. Drop syslinux and use GRUB everywhere
3. Configure new installations to always do hybrid boot installations
4. Develop documentation and/or tooling to do MBR->GPT conversions and
reconfigure for hybrid boot for existing systems

These are all reasonably achievable things we can do. And that gives
us time to work our relationships with our stakeholders to prepare
them for the day legacy BIOS support is gone from the entire Red Hat
family of distributions. It also gives room for improving the UEFI
experience so it's *at least* as good as the BIOS one, if not better.
Right now, it's not. And it needs to be in order to maintain the
momentum we have now where Fedora Linux adoption is growing by leaps
and bounds over the last couple of years.

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/FedoraCloudHybridBoot
[2]: https://pagure.io/cloud-sig/issue/309
[3]: https://pagure.io/cloud-sig/issue/345