Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Fri, Apr 08, 2022 at 12:41:22PM -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Michel Alexandre Salim <salimma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I sympathize with the change owners' position that detractors need
> > to assume their good intentions, but I feel like the same needs to be
> > assumed for community contributions,
>
> That's not really a "position" so much as a restatement of the Fedora
> Project's code of conduct.  If you feel that our comportment is not up
> to snuff, please provide specific feedback so we can improve.
> (Otherwise, a statement like that just comes across as propagating FUD.)

Apologies if this came across that way, I'm actually trying to calm
waters here. I'm rather surprised I came across as propagating FUD...

As for specifics:
- my general impression from reading this thread is this Change as
  originally written is too aggressive in its timeline, and too
  optimistic in assuming hardware, esp on the server side, is ready
- let's ignore the unfortunate dispute over the "PR was disabled" issue,
  I think that was a red herring
- as I stated, there are offers to help with getting syslinux replaced
  with GRUB. what I've not stated originally is Chris Murphy brought up
  protective MBR and switching all new installs to inst.gpt, which let
  us future proof new installations for when we do kill off legacy BIOS.

What people who want to help needs, though, is some sense that our
contributions are welcome. I've been at the receiving end of being
FUD-ed as having a 'hidden agenda', so I know how that feels, and I'm
definitely not trying to do that.

What I'm trying to point out is that the perceived lack of contribution
should not really be used as a reason to push this change right now:

- Neal pointed out he has been working on addressing this for a while,
  and have not put up a Change Proposal because he thought it was
  premature
- if the Change Proposal becomes "we can't support legacy BIOS long
  term, it's deprecated, community contributions welcome to help define
  the timeline and milestones" - that would probably get more people
  contributing rather than "this is our really fast timeline to
  deprecate this". Plus as many have stated, immediately breaking new
  installation is not deprecation, so I feel all subsequent discussion
  has been unfortunately tainted by that

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim