Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

On Thursday, 07 April 2022 at 18:42, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 6 2022 at 03:35:38 PM -0400, Jared Dominguez
> > <jaredz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> This seems like a strong assumption to me considering that aside from
> >> the largest cloud providers (with whom Red Hat is directly working
> >> with on UEFI boot features and bug reports), cloud providers are
> >> using off-the-shelf hypervisors that support UEFI boot.
> >
> > I'm going to ask the proposal authors to at least mention this as a
> > risk in the Feedback section of the change proposal. Maybe cloud
> > providers will all see this as a good opportunity to enable UEFI on
> > their platforms, and we'll be perfectly fine. I rather suspect it's not
> > going to happen quite so smoothly, though....
>
> I have appended added my analysis of this to the Feedback section.  For
> clarity, it's copied here:
>
>     During mailing list discussion of this change, concern was expressed
>     that some of the smaller hosting providers who do not provision with
>     UEFI today and do not also support Windows would drop Fedora rather
>     than enabling UEFI.  Given that the major virtualization solutions
>     (vsphere, kvm, xen, bhve, virtualbox, ...) all support UEFI today,

...latest versions of... And the provider in question might not be
running the latest version.

>     this would likely be exposing an existing capability rather than
>     making a sweeping change.

It's equally likely that they'd have to upgrade their virtualization
platform to the latest version first and then update their internal
UI/tooling to expose UEFI. I'd call that a sweeping change while you're
downplaying the scope of it.

>     That said, it is always possible that
>     providers may elect to drop Fedora rather than adjust their setups -
>     be it for this change or any other change Fedora makes.

That's completely unnecessary. It adds nothing but attempt to dilute the
impact of this change.

Regards,
Dominik
--