Re: F37 Change: RPM 4.18 (System-Wide Change proposal)

On 4/7/22 20:14, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Thu, Apr 07, 2022 at 12:13:42PM -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/RPM-4.18

* New interactive shell for working with macros (`rpmspec --shell`)
and embedded Lua (`rpmlua`)

That sounds cool. Can this be used to do standalone interpretation
of <lua> scriptlets? I'm wondering about the issue that we have with
rpm-ostree, which only supports bash scriptlets, so we end up rewriting
<lua> scriptlets and filetriggers to bash for the sake of rpm-ostree.

Well, it's a Lua interpeter, and so you can use it to execute Lua scripts from a file using the rpm embedded Lua interpreter so you'll have the same extensions loaded. It's not the same as getting executed from inside rpm transaction though because all sorts of context is missing, and this is not the intended use-case of the thing. That said, assuming the caller sets up scriptlet arguments and other state as per expectations, I don't see why simple scriptlets would not work. File triggers will not.

* New `%conf` spec section for build configuration

Any docs on this?

There's a brief blurb in https://rpm-software-management.github.io/rpm/manual/spec.html (not much to say really), for rationale see
https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/pull/1932

	- Panu -