Re: F37 Change: Deprecate Legacy BIOS (System-Wide Change proposal)

Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 6 2022 at 03:35:38 PM -0400, Jared Dominguez
> <jaredz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> This seems like a strong assumption to me considering that aside from
>> the largest cloud providers (with whom Red Hat is directly working
>> with on UEFI boot features and bug reports), cloud providers are
>> using off-the-shelf hypervisors that support UEFI boot.
>
> I'm going to ask the proposal authors to at least mention this as a
> risk in the Feedback section of the change proposal. Maybe cloud
> providers will all see this as a good opportunity to enable UEFI on
> their platforms, and we'll be perfectly fine. I rather suspect it's not
> going to happen quite so smoothly, though....

I have appended added my analysis of this to the Feedback section.  For
clarity, it's copied here:

    During mailing list discussion of this change, concern was expressed
    that some of the smaller hosting providers who do not provision with
    UEFI today and do not also support Windows would drop Fedora rather
    than enabling UEFI.  Given that the major virtualization solutions
    (vsphere, kvm, xen, bhve, virtualbox, ...) all support UEFI today,
    this would likely be exposing an existing capability rather than
    making a sweeping change.  That said, it is always possible that
    providers may elect to drop Fedora rather than adjust their setups -
    be it for this change or any other change Fedora makes.

Be well,
--Robbie