Re: Considering ExcludeArch: %{ix86} for webkit2gtk3 (and now also ExcludeArch: %{arm}

Ideally, I think the %cmake macro should only add new cmake-specific flags that are needed and not add any other ones not defined by the base distribution to the build. None of these feel like cmake-specific flags to me, because -DNDEBUG is applicable to all build chains, and the others are in %optflags already:

$ rpm --eval %optflags
-O2 -flto=auto -ffat-lto-objects -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -fstack-protector-strong -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1  -m64 -mtune=generic -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection

So is there a reason for these to be added by the %cmake macro?

-Ian

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:27 PM Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 26 2021 at 09:06:37 AM -0500, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And that means we should not need ExcludeArch after all. Pretty sure
> I can make it build now that we understand what went wrong. Happy
> ending? Probably, let's see....

CC: Björn. I wonder if you expected cmake to propagate these flags
into packages that it builds? It's not clear whether you expected them
to be used only for the build of cmake itself, or whether you expected
them to be set for all package builds that use cmake.

I'm a little surprised, because this change seems to be mostly
redundant with %optflags, yes? -O2 and -g are now being passed twice
during the build, since the existing CMake macros already respect
%optflags. Only -DNDEBUG is really new. I imagine this could cause
unexpected changes in other packages too.

Michael