Re: Don't update to the latest f33!

;-)

Response to earlier email:

Thanks for the informative response Michael.

I plan to read the content at those links in some depth. What I see so far does describe how name resolution now works and hints at why this is being done. Even had I read that it would not have prepared me for the possibility that the resolver would fail so completely in my relatively simple environment. Nor does it suggest how to return to a working resolver, either by returning to either nss option or correcting the systemd-resolved configuration -- and I still do not
know how to approach that. I will continue to read.

I guess that there are more places to get the information than I have previously been aware, but that still doesn't mean that most users will find it or understand it. I read stuff like this all the time but totally missed that. I can't imagine how most regular users and busy-to-their-eyeballs sysadmins will run
across this and then know how to connect the dots between change and symptom.

It took me a good bit of experimenting to figure out that /etc/resolv.conf is now just a link and the specific link used defines how name resolution actually works. My usual procedure with resolver problems is to cat /etc/resolv.conf but that does not tell me it is a link. I only realized that a major change had been made by doing a long listing while looking for old or conflicting files. Then I was on track to figure it out.

I think your statement about name resolution being bad would only be true if I
were part of one of the edge cases for which the old way failed. This is from a user standpoint where "all is good until it fails" rather than a developer standpoint where "it suck behind the scenes so it needs fixed even if it breaks things for a while."

I do like most of what systemd does. I do think that perhaps better testing of possible failure modes and circumstances as well as communication of possible problems, their symptoms, known fixes, and circumventions would help. And it needs to be obvious to anyone looking for that information.

Response to this email:

Ok, so I manage my network using DHCP on an internal server for all except that server and my Linux firewall/router which both use a complete static configuration for networking.

My DHCP server does provide DNS resolver information which, in order, is my internal BIND server (same physical server host), 8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4. But my hosts were not getting that information. I think the difference between the working and failing hosts is possibly (experiments required) left-over ifcfg files some of which specified DHCP but also name servers while others specified DHCP but did not specify name servers, as well as some newer hosts that do not have any ifcfg files. I have also noticed that ifcfg files are no longer created automatically but work when created. I missed that information also.

I am willing to help with this.

Thanks!

David P. Both, RHCE
He/Him/His
www.both.org - My personal web site
www.Linux-Databook.info - Home of the DataBook for Linux
DataBook is a Registered Trademark of David Both
The value of any software lies in its usefulness
not in its price.

— Linus Torvalds