Re: Don't update to the latest f33!

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 10:02 PM Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Catanzaro wrote on Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 08:46:57PM -0600:
> We removed the fallbacks due to complaints from users who didn't want DNS
> ever going to Cloudflare or Google. So the lack of fallback is expected and
> should not be reported as a bug.

setting DNS= (or DNS="") explicitely should not fallback, I agree with
that. There are people who want no DNS whatsoever and that should be
configurable.

But if extract_first_word() returned a non-empty string and
manager_add_dns_server_by_string fails (for all iterations of the loop),
it should definitely kick some fallback in -- the user obviously wanted
*something*, it just doesn't work.

Steve's situation provides the perfect example for why a fallback is likely undesirable. It sounds like his
configuration never worked. There were explicit DNS values configured that weren't being used, yet
he never noticed because it fell back to something that seemed to work. It would take a deeper and
deliberate look before the user realized the desired configuration wasn't applied. It is better to error
than guess in many cases.

> I think we have larger issues with DNS server assignment on cloud servers,
> which I've reported as https://pagure.io/fedora-server/issue/10. But I also
> notice Steve's case is different, since he really does have some static DNS
> configuration, just using commas where spaces are required. So seems like a
> misconfiguration by the cloud provider?

Not sure where the configuration snippet with comma comes from but yes
ultimately it's "just" a configuration error.
Nevertheless, a config that somehow worked until a recent update through
fallback, I don't think we want more unhappy users :)

--
Dominique