Re: Should the default editor be changed from vi to nano on upgrades to Fedora 33+

Dne 04. 12. 20 v 12:36 Marius Schwarz napsal(a):
Am 03.12.20 um 21:06 schrieb Ben Cotton:
...changes in default behavior, when 1. technically reasonable and 2.
not explicitly overridden by the user, should generally be made on
upgrade. Distributions are supposed to be opinionated, and in cases
where the user has accepted our opinion, we should do our best to
provide it whether the system in question is an upgrade or a fresh
install.
Has anyone made any test on installed system, how man of them got changed by theire users to reflect a trend on changes in the user favor for vi or nano?

Or simpler: on which numbers has this decission been made? It is a "oh, i like nano and hate vim, so i suggest to change it" case or the "we asked 10.000 users  which editor they favor?" one?

One of those is a good base for a change proprosal, the other one not.

I, i.E., favor vi, as it has advantages.

Wasn't this already thoroughly discussed in the original change proposal ML thread?

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/U5C4CC2O44E7Q4MVTT772NP667HTP25S/#U5C4CC2O44E7Q4MVTT772NP667HTP25S

Vít

Best regards,
Marius Schwarz