Re: Should the default editor be changed from vi to nano on upgrades to Fedora 33+

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should we try to "fix" this by ensuring the default does not change on upgrades?
> Or should we acknowledge that it does?

I think we should acknowledge that it does because...

> Changing the default on upgrades is good because the Fedora 33+ experience is
> similar regardless whether the system is freshly installed or upgraded.

...changes in default behavior, when 1. technically reasonable and 2.
not explicitly overridden by the user, should generally be made on
upgrade. Distributions are supposed to be opinionated, and in cases
where the user has accepted our opinion, we should do our best to
provide it whether the system in question is an upgrade or a fresh
install.

The difficulty here is cases where the user also has an opinion that
formerly aligned with the distribution's opinion and no longer does.
In most cases, the benefits to a consistent experience outweigh the
detriments of the user having to explicitly override an opinion.

(I include the phrase "technically reasonable" above to account for
cases like changing the default file system, which is not something
you'd particularly want to try changing on existing systems at upgrade
time)

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His