Re: This is bad, was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On 9/30/20 7:11 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2020 at 9:54 am, PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> So the upgrade WILL ignore current F32 state -- systemd-resolved
>> DISABLED + 'my' /etc/resolv.conf -- and enable + overwrite
>> (respectively) each, regardless of whether we're _using_
>> NetworkManager (afaict it's impossible to completely remove all NM*
>> cruft)?
>
> It only touches your /etc/resolv.conf if you are using NetworkManager,
> but I think it enables systemd-resolved regardless. You'll have to
> disable it if you don't want it.

Shouldn't it change resolv.conf only in case NM is active AND
resolv.conf is generated by Network Manager?

resolv.conf with dnssec-trigger is generated anyway, there is little
need to backup it. It looks like:

# Generated by dnssec-trigger-script
nameserver 127.0.0.1

I haven't tested upgrade to f33 yet. dnssec-trigger also tries protect
resolv.conf for overwriting by chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf. I think it
would break upgrade if change was attempted by systemd.

Also, it would battle for port 53 for anyone having already local
resolver. It would just fail to start, if user enabled listening on any
address. Which is now unfortunately default for dnsmasq. It might be a
little random, which one would win on machine start. I guess
systemd-resolved would win, because unlike named(bind) or unbound, it
has before nss-lookup.target and network.target. Normal dns services
start After=network.target.

Fortunately, it would not conflict with resolvers listening on localhost
only, because it listens on different IP address. But it is before dns
in nsswitch.conf, so every query would be done before "proper" dns
resolvers. I don't this that is correct, when resolved has serious
limitations in security.

I expect it would break any local resolver configured, unless it can
detect existing resolver and avoid activation of systemd-resolved.

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer