Re: This is bad, was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 1:01:23 AM MST Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mo, 28.09.20 23:37, John M. Harris Jr (johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>

> > > Configure "." as "routing domain" on a specific iface and the lookups
> > > wil go there preferably. If you put that on your VPN iface this means
> > > DNS traffic goes there preferably. If you put that ont he main iface
> > > this
> > > means DNS traffic goes there preferably.
> >

> > Is that a NetworkManager setting or a systemd-resolved setting? Is that
> > going to be exposed in the GUI, or is it something that gets hidden
> > away?
>
> I am not an NM guy, but I think they expose this these days. I can
> tell you definitely though that this is easily accessible via
> "resolvectl domain <iface>" from the command line and from .network
> networkd configuration files.
>

> > How does systemd-resolved figure out what domains "should" be sent to a
> > given connection's DNS server without some arcane incantation from the
> > systemd docs?
>
> As mentioned elsewhere:
>
> 1) Search domains are implicitly routing domains: if an interface has
>    "redhat.com" as search domain we also use that as routing domain,
>    i.e. all *.redhat.com lookups will go to this interface and not to
>    others.
>
> 2) If neither search domains nor routing domains are configured on any
>    interface for a domain, lookups are routed to all interfaces in
>    parallel, and the first positive and last negative answer is used.
>
> i.e. focus is primarily on "let's make DNS work" and "let's make the
> best of the little information we traditionally have", and any
> further, more complex routing requires additional configuration in NM,
> networkd or directly with resolvectl commands.
>
> Lennart

Lennart,

Search domains have absolutely nothing to do with routing. Search domains are
specifically used for resolving non-FQDN to FQDN. This isn't a reliable way to
see what domains are handled by a VPN, or by any DNS server.

The Red Hat VPN is a good example of this, as not every internal subdomain is
in search domains. That's the case for many VPNs, corporate or personal.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.