Re: This is bad, was Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: systemd-resolved

On Mo, 28.09.20 23:37, John M. Harris Jr (johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > Configure "." as "routing domain" on a specific iface and the lookups
> > wil go there preferably. If you put that on your VPN iface this means
> > DNS traffic goes there preferably. If you put that ont he main iface this
> > means DNS traffic goes there preferably.
>
> Is that a NetworkManager setting or a systemd-resolved setting? Is that going
> to be exposed in the GUI, or is it something that gets hidden away?

I am not an NM guy, but I think they expose this these days. I can
tell you definitely though that this is easily accessible via
"resolvectl domain <iface>" from the command line and from .network
networkd configuration files.

> How does systemd-resolved figure out what domains "should" be sent to a given
> connection's DNS server without some arcane incantation from the systemd docs?

As mentioned elsewhere:

1) Search domains are implicitly routing domains: if an interface has
   "redhat.com" as search domain we also use that as routing domain,
   i.e. all *.redhat.com lookups will go to this interface and not to
   others.

2) If neither search domains nor routing domains are configured on any
   interface for a domain, lookups are routed to all interfaces in
   parallel, and the first positive and last negative answer is used.

i.e. focus is primarily on "let's make DNS work" and "let's make the
best of the little information we traditionally have", and any
further, more complex routing requires additional configuration in NM,
networkd or directly with resolvectl commands.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin