Re: Policy for Modules in Fedora and Fedora ELN - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 11:01 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > My stand here is consistent with what I've said easier: The wider community
> > > needs to be part of this discussion, please don't just ask FESCo for this
> > > approval, either make it an esecntial part of this change proposal, submit
> > > another one or discuss this in a dedicated thread on devel.
> >
> > Sorry, I've meant "what I've said earlier", "essential".
>
> I think Stephen has done the right thing here so far. At this point, I
> don't want to keep sending him around in circles for this. I've been
> there, and that's not a fun place to be.

The reason I turned this into a Change Proposal was to get more eyes
on it, but it has already effectively been approved by FESCo. I'm
incorporating any clarifications that people come up with, but I don't
see the need to move the goalposts yet again.

> The reason I asked for regular reports about the progress for the
> usage of modularity technology in this manner is because at this point
> I feel like we need to have visibility on how stuff is improving as
> they experiment and develop through ELN. We have an opportunity to
> provide our expertise to help guide the development of modularity
> technology on the right path to make it suitable for wider use in
> Fedora.

I think this is perfectly reasonable. I'll keep FESCo in the loop as
we move ahead.

> And frankly, ordinarily we trust SIGs to do the right thing with their
> projects. I do not see this as any different. I do think it makes
> sense to have a general policy, and then note that it cannot be used
> for Fedora at this time, because it gives a framework in which modules
> can be developed to be used in Fedora later by default if we ever
> decide to allow them again.
>
> My only real complaint about ELN is that they don't want to make
> install media for people to regularly try out this Fedora variant. I
> think that does a disservice to the efforts and makes it harder for
> broader testing.

Uh, we're making the media, we're just not putting it on
getfedora.org. You can get it from
https://odcs.fedoraproject.org/composes/production/latest-Fedora-ELN/compose/Everything/x86_64/iso/

(Note that right now it's not actually installing ELN, it's installing
regular Rawhide, but that's a bug I'm working on.)