Re: Policy for Modules in Fedora and Fedora ELN - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 10:56 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23. 07. 20 16:53, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > On 23. 07. 20 16:26, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> >> I like Neal's proposal of "Fedora ELN may use default streams at this
> >> time, and default streams for ELN [...] are delegated to the ELN SIG
> >> with a report for review by FESCo on the progress of using modularity
> >> technology in this manner" in the FESCo approval ticket.
> >
> > My stand here is consistent with what I've said easier: The wider community
> > needs to be part of this discussion, please don't just ask FESCo for this
> > approval, either make it an esecntial part of this change proposal, submit
> > another one or discuss this in a dedicated thread on devel.
>
> Sorry, I've meant "what I've said earlier", "essential".

I think Stephen has done the right thing here so far. At this point, I
don't want to keep sending him around in circles for this. I've been
there, and that's not a fun place to be.

The reason I asked for regular reports about the progress for the
usage of modularity technology in this manner is because at this point
I feel like we need to have visibility on how stuff is improving as
they experiment and develop through ELN. We have an opportunity to
provide our expertise to help guide the development of modularity
technology on the right path to make it suitable for wider use in
Fedora.

And frankly, ordinarily we trust SIGs to do the right thing with their
projects. I do not see this as any different. I do think it makes
sense to have a general policy, and then note that it cannot be used
for Fedora at this time, because it gives a framework in which modules
can be developed to be used in Fedora later by default if we ever
decide to allow them again.

My only real complaint about ELN is that they don't want to make
install media for people to regularly try out this Fedora variant. I
think that does a disservice to the efforts and makes it harder for
broader testing.