Re: Policy for Modules in Fedora and Fedora ELN - Fedora 33 Self-Contained Change proposal

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 5:26 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22. 07. 20 14:53, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 7:28 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> As said in the modularity docs PR (but I cannot find it now, because pagure.io
> >> is down), I am not sure what is the outcome wrt default streams. Default streams
> >> are not allowed now. If this change proposal and the policy is approved, does it
> >> mean that:
> >>
> >> 1) default streams are still not allowed (and hence the default streams section
> >> of the policy is moot)
> >>
> >> 2) default streams are allowed (and hence it should be spelled out explicitly
> >> and this should be a system wide change proposal)
> >>
> >> 3) default streams are allowed in ELN, but not in non-ELN Fedora (and hence it
> >> should at least be said somewhere - in the policy or in the proposal)
> >>
> >> 4) something different?
> >
> > I was on PTO last week, sorry for the late reply.
> >
> > I phrased this policy in such a way that it can apply to any of those
> > cases. Use of *any* default in Fedora or ELN must be approved by FESCo
> > (with the option for FESCo to delegate that decision to the ELN SIG if
> > desired). Right now, FESCo's position on modular defaults in non-ELN
> > Fedora is "any such requests will be denied". The policy leaves it
> > open for FESCo to make an exception if they deem it appropriate. Does
> > that clear things up?
>
> I am not sure this makes much sense. My comment in
> https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/modularity/pull-request/83#comment-124761 stands.
> The default module streams policy should either say (just) "Default modular
> streams are not allowed in Fedora and EPEL" or at least it should have a warning
> box at the beginning that says "Default modular streams are not allowed in
> Fedora and EPEL, the following rules are provided just for completeness".
>
> To me it makes no sense to have a list of rules for something that is not
> allowed. It's like having a section with comprehensive rules and recommendations
> about shipping proprietary software in the package guidelines while at the same
> time we say it is not allowed.
>
> Alternatively, since the intention was from the beginning to allow modular
> streams in ELN [0], the change proposal should IMHO acknowledge this and the
> default modular streams policy should apply to ELN only. IIRC the ask to "create
> a change proposal" [1] was to allow modular streams in ELN, yet this change
> proposal actually leaves that out.

Okay, I'm fine with adding a note at the top that mentions that
default streams are currently forbidden in Fedora. (In EPEL, they
*may* be permitted in the buildroot, but not the runtime.)

> So I have to ask: What is the plan wrt default streams in ELN? Is the plan to
> approach FESCo with the same ask once this policy is approved? Or are default
> modular streams in ELN no longer needed?

I like Neal's proposal of "Fedora ELN may use default streams at this
time, and default streams for ELN [...] are delegated to the ELN SIG
with a report for review by FESCo on the progress of using modularity
technology in this manner" in the FESCo approval ticket.