Re: RHEL 9 and modularity

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 10:03:31AM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 23. 06. 20 8:50, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >Hi Josh, Miro,
> >
> >I think there has been a misunderstanding. I'm pretty sure Miro's
> >question is about "default modules" not "default streams"
> >(i.e. "modules enabled by default" vs. "the stream of a module to use
> >when a different one is not explicitly selected").
> >Default streams are not subject of much discussion. There is no plan
> >to limit them either in Fedora or ELN. But from your reply it is not
> >clear which of those you have in mind. Let's please clarify what we're
> >talking about first...
>
> Hello Zbyszek. My question is about "default modular streams" i.e.
> about the automatically enabled modular streams filtering
> non-modular content out of dnf transactions. The thing that is
> prohibited in Fedora.
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/modularity/blob/master/f/modules/ROOT/pages/glossary.adoc#_21

Hmmm, that is not how I understood the terminology. I _think_ we were
using the terms differently in the past. But I see I got this one
wrong, and "default module stream" is the most commonly used name and
has been for a while. So please disregard my objection. I'll reply to
Josh's mail separately.

> There is no "the stream of a module to use when a different one is
> not explicitly selected" concept in current modularity without also
> having "modules enabled by default". I would love to have that
> instead, but we don't.

I meant this:
$ sudo dnf module enable sway
Enabling module streams:
 sway              rolling
Is this ok [y/N]:

I thought 'rolling' is specified as default stream to pick, but it
seems not. It's just the only one, so dnf picks it without asking.
Somehow this got cross-wired in my brain with default module profiles.
Sorry for the noise.

Zbyszek