Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

Am 09.06.20 um 02:03 schrieb Kevin Kofler:
> I disagree. /etc should be prepopulated by packages and/or the distribution
> installer. Then the directory is left for the local admin to customize.
Not to speak of the fact, that you do not know which defaults are in
place, if they are not visible somewhere
logical placed. And even with systemds default in a config, we had a
very stupid situation where limits have been in place, that were
commented OUT in the default config, but systemd did set them because
they were hardcoded in it. A sane hardcoded default in case /etc broke
somehow is fine, but only as a last resort to boot up a working system
to fix itself.

And ZRAM is one of the tools, that should not be enabled by default
anyway. In a best case scenario it extends memory, but in most cases it
slows it down. With 16GB there isn't even a use-case for it.

best regards,
Marius