Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> I wonder if we could get that masked in Fedora Server and KDE Spin,
> potentially along with homed, userdb, repart (Who in the world thought
> this was a good idea?), resolved, networkd,
> systemd-xdg-autostart-generator (you've got to be kidding with these
> generators.. that's the DE's job, not the init system), systemd-sysusers,
> systemd-growfs, and an ever growing list of absurd things thrown into an
> init system.

Are all those things enabled in Fedora by default? repart and growfs sound
particularly scary to me. How do they even decide what partitions they want
to create or grow? I definitely do not want systemd to mess with my
partitions, even if it does not delete anything!

> These things are not discoverable at all. This stuff really needs to stop
> trying to guess what the user/sysadmin wants to do.

Yes, I think this is going too far lately. I think the first generation of
systemd modules, where the main idea was replacing ugly shell scripts with
fast native C code, was a good idea, and systemd initially actually made
things easier to configure (so I have never understood those systemd
haters), but these days, the feature creep is adding complexity instead of
removing it.

This reminds me more and more of that proprietary operating system which
does lots of complex and controversial things without asking you and where
you have to hunt down obscure registry keys in an attempt to hopefully stop
it from doing those things.

        Kevin Kofler