Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

On Sa, 06.06.20 02:19, Kevin Kofler (kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Chris Murphy wrote:
> > So yes it's well suited for these cases and the proposal does include
> > them. If they wish to be left out, that's up to those working groups.
> > It's possible to make sure /etc/systemd/zram-generator is not present.
>
> Also, why does this have to be a systemd generator? As a user administrating
> his own systems, I find those to be extremely annoying, because they do
> stuff behind my back that I never asked to happen and I have to mask them
> (and/or uninstall them completely) to get rid of the unwanted behavior.
>
> E.g., the systemd generator that tries to automount partitions not listed in
> fstab based on their GPT UUIDs is just broken. If I do not have the
> partition in the fstab, I left it out for a reason (e.g., the swap partition
> I have on my SSD in case I ever need it, which is normally NOT mounted to
> avoid wearing out the SSD). So why does systemd want to second-guess me and
> mount that partition behind my back unless I go out of my way to mask the
> magic generator?

Well, if you don#t want that behaviour don't use the partition type
UUIDs from the "discoverable partition spec" for your partitions.

It's how these type uuids are defined:

https://systemd.io/DISCOVERABLE_PARTITIONS/

By using these partition type uuids you basically say: "please
automatically mount me, thank you".

> So why can this zram feature not be a line in fstab, a parameter passed
> through the kernel CLI, or some other solution that is easily tweakable and
> that will definitely not affect upgrades of existing installations (unlike
> yet another systemd generator, if it happens to get installed for whatever
> reason)?

I am sorry, but in this day and age I am sure we should default to
stuff that just works, and that means: defaults should apply with
empty or immutable /etc.

By making this a default but list it in a configuration file to work,
you require /etc to be writable or populated, and that just sucks.

> IMHO, the only systemd generator that should ever mount partitions of any
> kind (including virtual ones such as zram) is the systemd-fstab-generator.
> If you want more stuff mounted, it should be added to /etc/fstab, that's
> what that file is for!

I disagree. We should strive for a system that works with empty /etc/
and if booted that way uses default settings. So that /etc is admin
territory where the admin makes changes from the defaults. Thus, if
zram is something to use by default then it should not be stored in
/etc.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin