Re: Fedora 33 System-Wide Change proposal: swap on zram

Ben Cotton wrote:
> Swap is useful, except when it's slow. zram is a RAM drive that uses
> compression. Create a swap-on-zram during start-up. And no longer use
> swap partitions by default.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:chrismurphy| Chris Murphy]]
> * Email: chrismurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do not think it is safe to assume that zram is sufficient to completely
replace disk swap. We do not know how much RAM is actually available on all
users' machines, and the compressibility of RAM contents depends on the
individual user's workloads.

So, I am opposed to this change as is.

> # Install systemd rust-zram-generator† package. This does not enable
> swap-on-zram, it only makes the generator available.

Also -1 to adding something to the core system that is written in a language
for which we do not even have dynamic linking support. Or even real static
linking support, as opposed to packaging libraries as source code.

        Kevin Kofler